GrowtoRetire.com Weekend Reads
Here are the best collection of articles and news just for you.
Grab a cup of cappuccino and have a nice weekend.
You will find more infographics at Statista
- Rich Kids Are Counting On Inheritance to Pay for Retirement (Bloomberg BusinessWeek)
Well-off young people say they need money from relatives and friends to guarantee their golden years stay golden.
“Sixty-three per cent of affluent children between the ages of 18 and 22 say financial stability in retirement will depend on inheriting money. As in, the money their parents spent a lifetime accumulating—or, given increasing income inequality, inherited themselves.“
- The ‘Fiduciary Rule’ May Sound Boring, But Its Collapse Threatens Your Retirement (Bloomberg BusinessWeek)
The Obama-era rule made financial advisers working with retirement accounts put clients’ interests first.
- Old Yahoo Will Pay Its Alibaba Taxes (Bloomberg)
Also, Volcker, lemonade stands, crypto stunts and poetry.
- Franklin’s Downgrade Is a Warning to All Bond Titans (Bloomberg)
The $738 billion asset manager is caught in a cycle of volatile performance and fund outflows.
- This Former Tesla Staffer Became an Internet Millionaire in His Spare Time (Bloomberg BusinessWeek)
Sisun Lee just raised $8 million for his hangover drink company, now valued at $33 million.
- Why Microsoft Is Willing to Pay So Much for GitHub (HBR)
- There’s a Better Answer Than Electric Cars (Bloomberg)
Promising emissions-reducing technology may let people keep driving cars with internal combustion engines.
- Privacy is a luxury, just like a $1,000 iPhone (Quartz)
- Is it better to buy or rent? This economist’s answer will come as a big relief (Quartz)
“Imagine that rents were so high that you could buy a place and rent it out and still have loads of money left over—even after paying the mortgage, maintenance, and everything else. If that happens, the market will adjust. People will start coming in, buying properties, and renting them out. But as apartment-hunters have more options to choose from, rental prices will fall. And they’ll fall to the point where the rental price just about covers the cost of owning.“
- Firms will have to justify pay gap between bosses and staff (Sky)
The move follows concerns that some chief executives have been receiving salaries that are out of step with company performance.
- For a glimpse of the future of money, go to Switzerland (Quartz)
- What to Do When a Loved One Is Severely Depressed (NY Times)
There are no easy answers for helping someone struggling with depression, especially if you’ve already tried and tried. Here are some tips from experts.
- A 3,000-year-old glass head deepens one of the Bible’s oldest mysteries (The Washington Post)