Tutorial on How to Make a Blog Easy With SiteGround
Are you looking to start an online business? Find some extra consulting opportunities, make friends with like-minded people from all over the world? Or just quit your job and just make money online for a living? All these are possibilities if you launch your own website and build your brand.
Today I will explain a step-by-step tutorial on how to start a blog in a few minutes.
First of all, some introduction to essential concepts.
- WordPress. If you are not tech-savvy, and don’t have any development or design skills, I would say that best easy-to-manage user friendly CMS is WordPress. It’s by far the most popular blog tool, and it enables you to have total control over your blog and your content. (CMS – Content Management System)
- Hosting. When starting a blog, some people choose to run their blog through Blogger, Wix, Weebly or SquareSpace. The downside of this option, is that you can’t control your blog because it’s hosted on a private platform. It may be taken out for some reason. Today I will talk about one web host that I love (and use), where you can host your website: SiteGround.
- SiteGround. If you are a beginner (or even already a recent blogger) I would say that SiteGround is an excellent option. This company has a legendary customer service, and their prices are very reasonable. SiteGround typically costs just $3.95 per month for the StartUp Plan (beginner plan).
They provide free website transfer and ongoing assistance at any time. Also, they consistently achieve nearly 100% customer satisfaction rates. I know this for a fact because I needed their help, and they solved all my problems. Fast.
Finally one important thing to take into account is that SiteGround makes REALLY easy to launch your blog in just a few minutes. With SSL, and all the plugins that will enhance the speed and security of your blog.
So are you ready to start blogging? Follow my SiteGround tutorial below and you will write your first post just a few minutes from now. Believe me.
START A WORDPRESS BLOG ON SITEGROUND IN JUST A FEW MINUTES
1. Choose a Hosting Plan
First of all, go to SiteGround and choose which hosting plan you will want. To help you decide, here are some tips:
• StartUp Plan: Suitable for beginners that want hosting for only 1 (One) Website. It will get you 10 GB of space for your files, and it is ideal for those receiving less than 10,000 visits per month;
• GrowBig Plan: This is the best seller of SiteGround. You will get hosting for multiple Websites, 20 GB of web space and is suitable for websites receiving less than 25,000 visits per month. On this plan you will also get SuperCacher plugin that will greatly improve your website speed. Additionally you’ll have 30 backup copies and priority for the technical support;
• GoGeek Plan: On this plan you’ll get 30 GB of web space and is suitable for websites receiving less than 100,000 visits per month. This is perfect for people with larger and e-commerce websites, or if you need features like staging and GIT integration.
Personally I started with the GrowBig Plan. But I would say that for beginners you should start with the StartUp Plan. Later you can change your plan if your website needs more space and/or more capacity in terms of monthly visits.
Finally all plans have SSD drives (solid-state drives) for greater speed; Free – and easy to install – SSL (Secure Socket Layer) Certificates with Let’s Encrypt SSL for greater security on your website; Free Cloudflare CDN (Content Delivery Network) for more security and speed.
In terms of installation you have an easy (3 clicks) setup for a new website. If you need a Website Migration SiteGround will do that for free. Don’t forget: They have a top 24/7 technical support.
2. Choose a Domain Name
After you picked out a plan, it’s time to register a domain name. You have to think carefully. As a broad recommendation, I would say for you to make a list of them, and try to keep it simple.
You can register a new domain name through SiteGround for $14.95/year.
Another thing that you can choose here, is the ending of the domain. The most popular of the world is of course “.com”. But if you open the menu (red arrow) you can choose between a lot more options.
I personally got my domain through NameCheap.
3. Enter Your Information
After the domain name and hosting plan is decided, it’s now time to enter all your important information.
4. Choose Your Initial Plan Length + Other Extra Options
Check out all your purchase information. You can choose how long you would like to pay for SiteGround’s hosting at the initial (lower) rate and eventually lock it for up to three years. It’s totally up to you.
I would say that one positive aspect is that you can lock for that lower rate for more than one year (others hosting providers may not give you that option). On the other hand if you choose three years you will have to pay all those years up-front, which can be expensive.
Additionally to choosing the period of time for your initial purchase, you can also choose extra options, such as Domain Privacy for $12/year or SG Site Scanner for $19.80 per year.
Domain Privacy will protect your personal information when (and if) you register a domain name with SiteGround. That information becomes publicly available through the whois services. So if you want to protect it, choose this one.
SG Site Scanner is a monitoring service that checks your website daily and will immediately notify you if your website has been hacked or injected with malicious code.
These services are NOT essential for you to start a website, but if I was to choose at least one of them, I would go with Domain Privacy.
5. Your Account is created.
So after paying for your account, you are ready to start your website with WordPress. Believe me, it’s really (really) easy with SiteGround.
SiteGround has created an in-house solution, called the Account Setup Wizard which will walk you through the process of setting up your new website. The Wizard will automatically appear as a pop-up window right after your first login in the User Area. If you still do not have a website, you can choose to start it straight from the Wizard.
This wizard and the excellent support of SiteGround are the two main reasons for me to recommend them to anyone looking to start a blog/website.
6. Start a New Website
To start simply press “Proceed” after the window of the wizard pop-up.
WordPress installation is the most popular option for starting a new website through the wizard, but several other applications can be installed through it too.
After choosing WordPress, hit Proceed.
7. WordPress Log-In Details
After selecting WordPress and hitting Proceed, you have to enter your log-in information.
Careful with this step. There are many daily attacks to websites throughout the world. So you would be wise to enter a username that isn’t obvious. On the same token, setting ‘12345’ or ‘password’ as a password would be a terrible idea. According to this website, it would take approximately 0.23 seconds to crack a password like ‘12345’. Terrible idea as you see.
You are responsible for setting your password, but I would recommend the following guidelines:
– At least 15 characters (Combining numbers and letters);
– Using Lowercase and uppercase letters (think for example GrOwToReTiRe);
– Using Symbols (think for example @, %, and #).
8. Now the Template
Your website’s template is basically the “visual” part of your blog. You have some free options that SiteGround can install at the same time they install WordPress on your server.
Don’t worry too much about the template, because you can change later on. Also try the “Preview” to see the different options live.
9. The End.
Finally, you will see a quick summary of your WordPress installation, including from where to access your admin area, your username and your password.
You can now go to the front page of your site and check out the newly installed WordPress application.
If you want to access to the administration (dashboard) part of your website/blog, just go to http://yournewdomain.com/wp-admin, inserting on ‘yournewdomain’ your actual domain.
If you’re feeling stuck or lost, don’t forget to contact the support team of SiteGround. They are amazing!
I really believe that SiteGround is unbeatable on a value-for-money perspective. Therefore the best solution both for beginners and advanced users.
Also they have a really good customer/support service, helping you with the different issues that may arise.
SiteGround is the company that I use, and I’m really happy with the service.The BEST tutorial on 'How to Make a Blog in Minutes' with SiteGround. Click To Tweet